Thursday, 29 November 2012

Orcs and Goblins vs Ogres 2400 Pts.


Ogre Kingdoms vs. Orcs and Goblins
==================================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Blood and Glory
Location: Manawatu Duellist's Club
Date played: Thursday, 29 November 2012

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
General: John
  (S) Slaughtermaster
           Lvl4

  (BSB) BSB

  (F) Firebelly
      - Lvl 1

  (BR1) Bruiser

  (B1) 8 Bulls
      -

  (B2) 8 Bulls
      -

  (I1) 12 Ironguts

  (MC) 4 Mournfang Cavalry

  (I2) Ironblaster
      -


  Total: 9 points
  ---------------

Orcs and Goblins
----------------
General: Jeff
  (N1) 50 Night Goblins, NG 1 [300 point]
      - 3 Fanatic

  (N2) 50 Night Goblins, NG 2 [275 points]
      - 2 Fanatics

  (T) 8 Trolls [280 points]

  (WC1) Wolf Chariot  [50 points]

  (WC2) Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (SPW) Snotling Pump Wagon [70 points]

  (DD1) Doom Diver [80 points]

  (RL1) Rock Lobba [85 points]

  (MS1) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (OGS)  Orc Great Shaman [210 points]
      - Lvl 4, Scroll

  (N) 50 Night Goblins, NG3 [275 points]
      - 2 Fanatics

  (DD2) Doom Diver [80 points]

  (RL2) Rock Lobba [85 points]

  (WC3) Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (MS2) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (NGS) NG Great Shaman [210 points]
      - Lvl 4, Earthing Rod, Talisman of Preservation

  (NA) 20 NG Archers [70 point]
      - Bunker

  (BSB) BSB [74 point]
      -


  Total: 2400 points
  ------------------

Deployment
----------


I won the roll for deployment and picked my side with the aim of creating a killing ground in the centre and area to manuever on the flanks with my Chaff. Of note is that N1 has 3 Fanatics while N2 and N have only two each.  I anticipated his Mournfang coming right for my trolls since they had a flaming banner.

As per usual John finished deploying well before I did and as such was able to win the roll for first turn.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Ogres are just outside their maximum charge range so they make conservative moves to be able to charge in the next turn. In hindsight John should have been more aggressive but I know that he was wary of my Fanatic screen and my Manglers on his flank.

2. Magic

John used a Ruby ring of ruin to shoot at MS2, he only did one wound though and miscast so the ring was destroyed. I was relieved by his choice of target as I was anticpating a ruby ring to the Trolls and then a Great Maw. He then cast Fireball at the trolls with his Firebelly, did a few wounds but miscast and caused a few wounds to the ogres in B1.

3. Shooting

John's only shooting comes from his Ironblaster which takes a shot at RL 1, he hits but unfortunately fails to wound.

4. Nil

Turn 1 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

My Chariots move to the flanks to set up flank charges in future turns while my Manglers move across to start blocking his movement and lining up their next moves. I stupidly tried to charge the SPW into B1 but failed. N2 fails animosity and sits there doing nothing.

2. Magic

I roll poorly for Winds of Magic and can't get Foot of Gork off, all I manage to do is cast Hand of Gork on MS2, which I place just in front of the corners of MC and Ironguts. This ended up being dumb as since we weren't playing with the correct sized base I wasn't able to achieve my desired effect blocking their movement. In hindsight I should have parked it in front of one of the units.

3. Shooting

All of my War Machines fire into the Mournfang Cavalry but due to poor scattering and a misfire which destroys RL2 I am only able to do 3 wounds. The chariots pepper the Bull units but to no effect.

4. Combat

Nil


Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Mournfangs declared a charge on N1 and rolled well enough to get there. At 8" I released all three fanatics in such a way as to ensure they would remain in the Mournfang's path and was successful. This saw the MC take 25 hits from the fanatics and in a disgusting mess of fur, mushrooms and blood the Mournfangs ceased to exist. B2 moved forward to take up their position in the line and I1 moved up to 8" away from N2 to cause the fanatics to come out and do a bit of damage. B1 declared a charge on the Pumpwagon.

2. Magic

The Winds of Magic were unkind and John received very few power dice. No spells got through this turn.

3. Shooting

The Ironblaster pivoted and lined itself up for a shot on MS2 which it promptly killed.

4. Combat

B1 clobbered the Snotling Pump Wagon and overran to about 6 inches from N1, taking some damage from fanatics along the way.

Turn 2 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

WC and the Trolls charged into B2  while MS1 moved across them causing only 4 wounds. The Bunker reforms in anticipation of N2 getting hit and wants to ensure it is out of the way of an overrun. The rest of the army prepares to receive charges.

2. Magic

I cast an IF Foot of Gork and fry a bunch of goblins from N2 and my bunker with the resulting calamitous detonation. Fortunately I am not sucked into the void. The resulting Foot of Gork goes off 4 times though killing all but one of the Ironguts and wounding the Slaughtermaster and BSB. One unfortunate scatter though kills two of my trolls (they were much closer than the map suggests).  My only other cast is to cast poison on N2 in anticipation of a charge.

3. Shooting.

All of my shooting goes onto the Ironguts but manages very little, still I'm happy with my Foot of Gork.

4. Combat

My Wolf Chariot does an underwhelming number of impact hits and I definitely feel the loss of two trolls when it comes time to dish out my damage. I still do enough to win the combat but only by 1 and John passes his leadership test.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The remaning one Irongut, Slaughtermaster and BSB charge into N1, while B1 slams into N.

2. Magic

John attempts to get off a big +1S buff but fails to cast as he saved too many dice for something else and his Slaughtermaster is no longer able to cast. The Firebelly has no elgible targets so the remaining power dice are lost.

3. Shooting

The Iron blaster puts a shot down the flank of my bunker and kills 7, meaning my bunker has become dangerously small. This little turn has been a big mistake and it was pointed out later that I probably turned too far to have legally cast Foot the previous turn. In retrospect I should never have turned at all and if I had read correctly would not have.

4. Combat

B1 does an ungodly amount of wounds to N thanks to the Firebelly's breath weapon, the brave little gobbos do a few wounds back but lose by miles. Fortunately they are still steadfast so they hold in place. B2 manages to kill the WC but can't make a dent against the trolls who win by a large margin and run B2 down.

Turn 3 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

The Trolls fail stupidity and amble forwards. N2 fails animosity, gets a free move towards the Iron blaster and rolls double 1's for the charge. I reform the bunker into a less suicidal position. The Mangler squig moves through N2 and kills 10. Still plenty of gobbos left though.

2. Magic

I use the magic phase to cast Gork'll fix it on B1 as well as Gift of the Spider Gods on N. I then attempt to cast Hand of Gork on the Trolls to get them back in the fight but it is dispelled by John.

3. Shooting

All of my shooting goes into the Ironblaster but with little effect as one doomdiver misfires and the other warmachines scatter off.

4. Combat

The impact hits of the Wolf Chariots, poison on the gobbos and re-rolling all 6's sees B1 take a hammering in combat and flee away. The Wolf chariots cut them down and make a move for the Ironblaster while the Night Goblins reform to try and get in a fight. The Night Goblins put a wound on the Slaughtermaster and kill the last Irongut and just win the combat. However the Slaughtermaster has the crown of command and easily makes its break test thanks to the BSB.


Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Ironblaster moves to line up a shot through WC2 and into N's flank.

2. Magic

John doesn't manage to get anything of much use off.

3. Shooting

The Ironblaster destroys WC2 and with a huge bounce kills 3-4 gobbos in N

4. Combat

More Night Goblins die fighting the Slaughtermaster and BSB but thanks to steadfast I stick around just fine. I'm worried though that due to animosity I'm not gonna be able to get a charge in next turn on his exposed rear.

Turn 4 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

The Trolls again fail stupidity and stumble forward. N2 spinds around to put a rear charge in on the remaining Ogre heroes and N moves forward so that my NG Great Shaman can start throwing some augments and hexes out. MS1 moves through N and kills 3. WC3 moves to the flank of the Ironblaster instead of charging as I want to shoot the bloody thing.

2. Magic

I manage to cast Gift of the Spider God on N1 and Gork'll fix it on the Ogres. I try a Hand of Gork on the trolls but again it is dispelled. This was poor prioritizing on my part and I really regretted this after the game.

3. Shooting

My Warmachines target the Ironblaster, one doom diver does a wound and a Rock Lobba hits and does 3 more, leaving the Ironblaster on a single wound.

4. Combat

Once again my goblins are hacked down and can't do much to the Ogres in retaliation. I am still steadfast but I am getting nervous and running out of bodies to hold the Ogres at bay.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Ironblaster charges N and I elect to flee, he fails to redirect and lurches forward. At this stage I couldn't afford another combat and I knew I could easily rally.

2. Magic

The Slaughtermaster goes to cast regen and gets box cars and causes a calamitous detonation! His BSB and Slaughtermaster each take a wound but I lose 11 Night Goblins, meaning I have no chance of remaining steadfast. To make matters worse his Slaughtermaster then manages to not get sucked into the warp.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Slaughtermaster and BSB easily win the combat and I am no longer steadfast. I break and am cut down.

Turn 5 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

The Trolls again fail stupidity and move forwards.  N2 attempts a rear charge but can't make it and N rallies easily.

2. Magic

I intend to finish his characters in two ways. First I will cast a Foot to stomp them and if that doesn't work use Brain Bursta to finish the slaughtermaster who has only one wound left. I IF cast Foot of Gork though and cause yet another Calamitous Detonation and suck myself into the warp. Fortunately though Gork avenges me and kills the Slaughtermaster before moving and crushing the Ironblaster.

3. Shooting

All of my warmachines go in for the BSB but his regen keeps him up with just one wound.

At this point John's army is broken and we call it a game. We thought it was turn 6 but on going back it was the end of Turn 5. Another turn would probably have seen me grab the BSB as well with Warmachines or a buffed charge from N2. All in all I felt lucky to get the result I did this game as John's army was tough as nails and my miscast actually had me just about to break. My big tactical mistake was charging the trolls out alone on Turn 2. I should have moved my blocks right up to his so I could force charges on the Trolls, N2 and N leaving N1 unengaged and with a flank charge onto B2. This should have seen a more decisive combat and me able to bring another unit to bear on his Slaughtermaster/BSB. As it went I sort of crossed paths and got pulled out of position. I'm still real happy with the two level 4's as it means I always have the right tools in the magic phase and redundancy when one goes kapoot. I currently have some squigs on their way for Christmas and I'm keen to try to swap them in for one of the NG Blocks to give me some more punch. Once again thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment