Thursday, 1 November 2012

Orcs and Goblins vs. Vampire Counts 2400


Orcs and Goblins vs. Vampire Counts 1
=====================================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: Manawatu Duellists
Date played: Thursday, 1 November 2012

The board was set up by a neutral party and Regan and I decided to play a standard Battleline scenario. Regan won the roll and decided to deploy on the Southern side. This was a smart move on his part as it meant that he could use the two forests near my deployment zone to try and tease out fanatics from the safety of cover using his Dire Wolves.

Orcs and Goblins
----------------
General: Jeff Kent
  (N1) 60 Night Goblins, NG 1 [305 points]
      - 1 Fanatic, Full Command, Nets

  (N2) 60 Night Goblins, NG 2 [305 points]
      - 2 Fanatics, Full Command, Nets

  (NA1) 20 NG Archers 1 [120 points]
      - 2 Fanatics, Muso

  (NA2) 20 NG Archers 2 [120 points]
      - 3 Fanatics, Muso

  (B1) 22 Night Goblins, Bunker [76 points]

  (T) 8 Trolls [280 points]

  (WC1) Wolf Chariot  [50 points]

  (WC2) Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (WC3) Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (SPW) Snotling Pump Wagon [75 points]
      - Exploding Spores, Spiky Rolla

  (MS1) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (MS2) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (RL) Rock Lobba [85 points]

  (DD) Doom Diver [80 points]

  (NGS) NG Great Shaman [225 points]
      - Level 4, Power Scroll, Talisman of Preservation

  (NS) NG Shaman [75 points]
      - Level 1, Dispel Scroll

  (SOGS) Savage Orc Great Shaman [240 points]
      - Level 4, Power Stones, Opal Lodestone

  (B2) BSB [132 points]
      - Standard of Discipline, Heavy Armour, Shield


  Total: 2398 points
  ------------------

Vampire Counts 1
----------------
General: Regan
  (G1) 30 Ghouls

  (G2) 30 Ghouls

  (S) 49 Skeletons

  (ME) Mortis Engine

  (DW1) 5 Dire Wolves

  (DW2) 5 Dire Wolves

  (DW3) 5 Dire Wolves

  (DW4) 5 Dire Wolves

  (V) 4 Vargheists

  (N) Necromancer
      - Level 2

  (VH1) Vampire Hero
      - Level 1

  (VH2) Vampire Hero
      - Level 2

  (VL) Vampire Lord
      - Level 1


  Total: 2400 points
  ----------------

Deployment
----------


Deployment then followed with Regan finishing deployment well before myself. I tried to focus on getting my chariots and manglers out to the flanks as I felt I'd then be able to come around and hit his blocks on the side as his Dire Wolves would be mostly sacrificed to draw out fanatics. I made one giant mistake I'm unhappy with and that is placing my two war machines behind a Chariot and Pump Wagon rather than a solid combat block. This would come back to kick me in the ass later. We rolled off for first turn and both rolled a 1, but Regan finishing first meant that he got to add 1 and he decided to take first turn.

Turn 1 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------


1. Movement

Regan had conducted Vanguard moves with his Dire Wolves prior to the game beginning and then moved aggressively to tease out my Fanatics. He succeeded in teasing out all of my Fanatics (8) for the loss of two units. I managed to mitigate some of the damage done by colliding several of the Fanatics together so at least they wouldn't come back into my line.

2. Magic

Regan rolled a 9 for Winds of Magic and I got 6. He cast Gaze of Nagash at Mangler Squig 2 which I dispelled. He then cast the Danse Macarbre in the center which I couldn't dispel and he got a free move for his Skeletons, Mortis Engine and his second Ghoul unit.

3. Shooting

Regan's army has no shooting thankfullly.

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 1 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

I did my Animosity rolls and fortunately everyone was well behaved. My manglers then moved up the flanks while  I moved a Chariot and an Archer unit around to begin enveloping Regan's Army. The rest of my Army held the line as I wanted to make the most of my shooting advantage.

2. Magic

I rolled a very poor Winds of Magic which wasn't going to allow for me to do much. The one unit I really wanted to hit with Foot of Gork (the Vargheists) was out of range so I cast Vindictive Glare on the unit of Dire Wolves closest to me and killed a few of them and cast Gift of the Spider God on N1 as I was anticipating a charge from his Dire Wolves on them.

3. Shooting.

Night Archers 2 finished off the Fire Wolf unit in front of them with ease. My Rock Lobba fired on the Mortis Engine, rolled a hit on the scatter die and then failed to wound. The Doom Diver had more success though as he dived towards the Vargheists and inflicted 4 wounds on the creatures.

4. Combat.

Nil

Turn 2 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------


1. Movement

Regan charged my Pump Wagon and Wolf Chariot with his Dire Wolves who rolled well to get there. The Vargheists moved into a good charge position in the Forest and the rest of his army inched toward me.

2. Magic

Regan cast the Danse Macabre again which I dispelled as I did not want to allow him another move and to re-roll hits in the next turn if I wanted to charge him. He then cast Gaze of Nagash on the Wolf Chariot in the centre of my line and killed it outright. This was very frustrating and left me less certain about how to deal with the G2 block as I would miss those impact hits.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Dire Wolves fought well and managed to put one wound on the pump wagon and one on the Chariot. I was confident that with my 9 attacks back I should be able to at least draw the combat. Alas it was not to be as I only managed 2 hits and a measly one wound. This saw my Chariot flee nearly to the edge, my Pump Wagon destroyed as it is unstable and the four remaining Dire Wolves overrun into my Doom Diver. This pissed me off and I was paying the price for putting them in a very stupid place.

Turn 2 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Only one unit suffered from Animosity, the Bunker, and this was quickly resolved by the Black Orc BSB bashing some heads together. The Mangler Squigs continued to work thier way around the flanks along with a Chariot. The Wolf Chariot rallied and positioned itself to charge the dire wolves once they returned to the board. The rest of the line held as  I wanted to be sure of clearing the Vargheists with shooting and Magic before I commited myself to combat.

2. Magic

I rolled decently for Winds of Magic and my first port of call was to try and cast Hand of Gork on the Doom Diver, in retrospect this was not a legal move but I didn't get it off anyways. My next move was to Foot of Gork the Vargheists, I got it off and brought the Vargheists down to 1 model. I then cast an extended Vindictive Glare and finished off the Vargheists.

3. Shooting.

My Archers took pot shots at the Ghouls killing about 3 or 4. My Rock Lobba fired at the Mortis Engine again but scattered off this time.

4. Combat

The Dire Wolves ate my Doom Diver and overran off the board.

Turn 3 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------


1. Movement

Regan's Wolves came back on and wheeled to face the chariot which was going to charge them the next turn. His Mortis Engine rolled a double 1 and took a wound. His Skeletons stood in place rather than charge the trolls and one of his ghould units failed a charge.

2. Magic

Regan rolled well for his Winds of Magic and I was only able to prevent his re-rolling spells going off, leaving him able to raise a few Ghouls back and used Gaze of Nagash to kill off one of my Mangler Squigs.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 3 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Animosity wasn't an issue so all went to plan. The Wolf Chariot charged his Dire Wolves. The trolls charged his skeletons and N2, NA2 and a Wolf Chariot charged his block of Ghouls. I moved my other Archers around to set up a flank charge on his unengaged ghould unit and my remaining Mangler moved to prepare to move across the line of the combats.

2. Magic

I rolled very well for Winds of Magic and used it to put Gork'll Fix it on the Skeletons, Sneaky Stabbing on N2, and Gift of the Spider God on the Trolls. I went for an Ere we go but it was dispelled. I also used Hand of Gork on the Mangler but rolled so low for movement that I achieved nothing useful out of it. All in all though I got the buffs through that I needed to ensure I was going to win combats.

3. Shooting

The Rock Lobba fired again at the Mortis Engine, hit and did 5 wounds of which 4 were saved by his regen. Damn!

4. Combat

The Combat against the Ghouls went excellently. I won by a very large margin and utterly destroyed the ghouls and left the Vampire Hero alone on one wound. The fight against the Skeletons was a bit tougher but I still managed to destroy about half of the unit for the loss of a few wounds. The Wolf Chariot smashed into his Dire Wolves and managed to kill them with impact hits.

Turn 4 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------


1. Movement

Regan charges my other NG block with his Ghouls (including the Vampire Lord). I stand and resolve to tarpit him. His mortis engine moves towards my NG Great Shaman who is on his own.

2. Magic

Regan has an awful magic phase and manages only to bring back a few casualties in the Skeleton unit.

3. Shooting

The Mortis Engine screams at my NG Great Shaman but fortunately rolls to low to actually cause any wounds. This definitely felt like a get out of jail free card.

4. Combat

The lone Vampire Hero vainly attempts to hack down the wave of Night Goblins but is dragged down by the masses. The N2 block reforms to face the Mortis Engine for a charge next turn. In the Centre the Trolls and Skeletons continue to slug it out, I lose a whole troll so am down to 7 and in exchange I stomp more skeletons into dust. At the end of the combat there are about 16 Skeletons, a vampire and a necromancer left. The Ghouls and Vampire Lord hack into my Night Goblins and cause a mess of casualties but due to steadfast I hold and stick around for more.




Turn 4 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------

1. Movement

Animosity is not an issue this turn. My Archers fail a charge into the flank of the ghouls and my Chariot fails a long range charge into the skeletons. My NG Block (which had previously reformed) charges the flank of the Mortis Engine. My Mangler Squig crashes through the Troll/Skeleton combat and into the Mortis Engine. He kills 6-7 Skeletons, no wounds on the trolls and does a wound on the Mortis Engine which is now at 3 wounds. The Night Goblins charge through him taking 10 casualties.

2. Magic

I roll poorly for Winds of Magic but still manage to get Sneaky Stabbing onto the flank charging Night Goblins and Ere we Go on the trolls.

3. Shooting

Nil as there are no unengaged enemy units.

4. Combat

The Night Goblins do only one wound to the Mortis Engine but still destroy it due to static combat resolution. The Engine blows up doing damage to all around it and leave me with only 6 trolls. The Trolls lose another to the vampires/Skeletons  but then finish the unit and kill both characters. They reform to the right to charge the Ghouls in the next turn. The Vampire Lord and the Ghouls continue to hack away at my N1 unit but I am still steadfast and stick around.


Turn 5 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------


1. Movement

Nil

2.  Magic

Regan attempts to raise back some Ghouls but I manage to dispel it.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Vampire Lord and Ghouls continue to butcher the Goblins and this time I fail my re-roll and flee of the board bouncing through the Rock Lobba. They pursue and are well positioned to charge the Rock Lobba next turn.

Turn 5 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Animosity was not an issue and I knew the game was pretty much at a close so I moved the Archers to get some shots at the Ghouls. The trolls failed a re-rolled stupidity and ended any hope I had of actually killing the Vampire Lord and his dozen or so ghouls that were left in close combat. It would come down to nuking them with magic.

2. Magic

I rolled 12 and proceeded to throw the kitchen sink at him with Curse of Da Bad Moon, Foot of Gork and Vindictive Glare all getting off against him. This decimated the unit of Ghouls down to 3-4  + the vampire lord.

3. Shooting.

The Archers finished off the remaining Ghouls leaving only the Vampire Lord left on the table.

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 6 - Vampire Counts 1
-------------------------

Summary.

The Vampire Lord Charged the Rock Lobba, wiping it out and due to the angle of his charge was able to overrun into the Wolf Chariot though in retrospect I'm not sure he's able to overrun but just reform as the war machine crew cannot flee.

Turn 6 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


Summary:

The last turn of the game and I illegally used Hand of Gork to move the Wolf Chariot out of combat, though in retrospect I don't think it should have been in combat in the first place. I then threw all the shooting and Magic I could but in the end the armour of the Vampire Lord held and he was left with one wound.

It ended up being a very big victory to myself but with a few learning points. I need to be far more careful how I position war machines so that chaff can't get so lucky and wipe them out. I'm thinking they'll be safer towards the center of my line behind the big blocks that won't break unless they get hit by something very hard. That being said I also need to be more aware of bouncing through and fleeing as this cost me one of my big blocks. The other two learning points are that Hand of Gork can only be used on an unengaged unit and that since War Machine crew don't flee, people don't get to overrun/pursue.

I hope you enjoyed the Batrep, I'm still getting used to the program and any comments regarding tactics or a rule played incorrectly are welcomed.


Built with Battle Chronicler.
http://www.battlechronicler.com/

1 comment: