Friday, 21 December 2012

Orcs and Goblins vs. Empire 2400 points


Empire vs. Orcs and Goblins
===========================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: Manawatu Duellists
Date played: Saturday, 22 December 2012

Empire
------
General: Regan
  (W) Wizard [245 points]
      - Level 4, Talisman of Preservation

  (B) BSB [141 points]
      -

  (E1) Engineer [65 points]

  (E2) Engineer [65 points]

  (H1) 42 Halberdiers [282 points]

  (C1) 12 Crossbowmen [108 points]

  (C2) 12 Crossbowmen [108 points]

  (H2) 12 Handgunners [118 points]

  (G) 35 Greatswords [415 points]
      - Full Command

  (D) 4 Demigryphs [232 points]
      - Full Command

  (GC1) Great Cannon [120 points]

  (GC2) Great Cannon [120 points]

  (M) Mortar [100 points]

  (H3) Helstorm [120 points]

  (H4) Helblaster [120 points]


  Total: 2400 points
  ------------------

Orcs and Goblins
----------------
General: Jeff
  (OGS) Orc Great Shaman [225 points]
      - Level 4, Earthing Rod

  (NGW) Night Goblin Warboss [155 points]
      - Wizarding Hat

  (NGGS) Night Goblin Great Shaman [215 points]
      - Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll

  (NB) NG BSB [70 points]
      - Standard of Discipline

  (NG1) 50 Night Goblins [215 points]
      - Musician, Standard, Netters

  (NG2) 50 Night Goblins [215 points]
      - Musician, Standard, Netters

  (NG3) 50 Night Goblins [215 points]
      - Musician, Standard, Netters

  (B) 20 Bunker [70 points]
      - Musician

  (WR) 5 Wolf Riders [50 points]

  (GWC1) Goblin Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (GWC2) Goblin Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (GWC3) Goblin Wolf Chariot [50 points]

  (T) 8 Trolls [280 points]

  (DD1) Doom Diver [80 points]

  (DD2) Doom Diver [80 points]

  (RL1) Rock Lobba [85 points]

  (RL2) Rock Lobba [85 points]

  (MS1) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (MS2) Mangler Squig [65 points]

  (SPW) Snotling Pump Wagon [75 points]
      - Spiky Rollers, Exploding Spores


  Total: 2395 points
  ------------------

Deployment
----------


1. Deployment

My first thought when setting up our armies was, " Wow, that's a lot of warmachines." I knew I couldn't hope to out shoot this army so I would have to cross the boardand get into combat as quick as I could. What would make this harder as well though was the fact that his ranged detachments would be excellent at clearing my chaff. As such my whole plan involved gettting my Trolls across the board ASAP as he had no flaming weapons and should be able to eat his army whole.

I rolled up my spells and received Foot of Gork, Hand of Gork, Brain Bursta and Gaze of Mork for my Orc Shaman. My NG Shaman got Gift of the Spider God, Itchy Nuisance, Sneaky Stabbin and Curse of Da bad Moon. My Wizarding hat got to roll on the Lore of Heavens and received, Comet of Casandora and the signature spell. My opponent interestingly enough took the Lore of Metal and received the signature spell, transmuation of lead, final transmuation and Gehenna's Golden Hounds. In retrospect this was probably a poor lore choice for the game due to my general lack of armour saves.

I chose to Vanguard my Wolf Riders up in the hope of getting first turn or to at least provide good targets for the Handgunners. We rolled off and my opponent got first turn

Turn 1 - Empire
---------------


1. Movement

The only movement this turn was a crossbow detachment deciding to garrison the building on the Halberdier's flank and the Helblaster moving towards the flank.

2. Magic

My opponent attempted to cast Final Transmutation on NG3 but I was able to dispel.

3. Shooting

The Handgunners unleashed a vicious volley at the Wolf-riders and wiped them out. The cannon's  roared and tried to take out RL1 and DD2 but failed to wound and were blocked by the Troll shield. The Helstorm misfired but would be able to fire next turn and the Mortar hit NG1 and scattered only killing a few. All in all I felt I had got off lightly but knew that I wouldn't be able to handle this amount of fire for long.

4. Combat

Nil


Turn 1 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Animosity sees NG1 and NG2 pick a fight with eachother, locking them in place. The rest of my army advances all out to get closer to his army.

2. Magic

I roll a measly 4 for winds of magic and don't have too many options. I attempt to cast Foot of Gork but it fails to go off.

3. Shooting

I decide to focus all of my Doom Diver shooting on the Demigryphs and manage to inflict 8 wounds, enough to take two off and cause a panic test that sees them run off the board. Similarly I hit H1 with both of my Rock Lobbas and do enough damage to them to take a panic test which they fail. Unfortunately they stop before they can leave the board edge. This is a great turn of luck for me but also a harsh punishment for Regan placing his BSB with the Greatswords far away from the rest of his troops.

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 2 - Empire
---------------


1. Movement

Movement is again limited. The Halberdiers fail to rally but roll double 1's for their flee distance and manage to stay on the board. The Greatswords slightly reposition themselves in an attempt to avoid the Mangler Squig next turn.

2. Magic

Magic consists of Regan casting an IF Final Transmutation on NG3, killing about 15 Goblins. Fortunately everyone passes their stupidity tests.

3. Shooting

Regan's shooting phase this turn is brutal. The Helblaster wipes out my Snotling Pump Wagon, but fortunately my chariot passes its panic test. The Handgunners destroy a wolf charioton their own while a cannon ball bounces through MS1 and the other chariot killing them both. The second cannon attemptsto knock out MS2 but fails to do so. The Helstorm and Mortar both open up on NG1 killing another 15 or so.

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 2 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Everyone passes their Animosity/Stupidity tests and it is all on. The trolls declare a charge on C1 who flee, I opt to re-direct and do so into the flank of the Greatswords. The rest of my army continues advancing while my Chariot gets out of the line of fire of the Helblaster. The mangler bursts through the Greatswords killing 7-9.

2. Magic

I get the magic phase all my own way this turn and cast Sneaky Stabbin and Gift of the Spider Gods on the Trolls to make sure they hit hard. I also hand of Gork NG1 forward but only manage a low score. Finally I attempt to cast Foot of Gork but it fails to go off.

3. Shooting

My shooting all goes into the Halberdiers this turn as I want to ensure that should it rally it won't be able to beat NG1 or NG2. I manage to kill about 10 more Halberdiers leaving only 25 in the unit.

4. Combat

My trolls hit like a ton of bricks and kill 20 Greatswords and lose one troll in return. The stubborn greatswords though manage to hold, but at this rate I should finish the unit next turn with ease.

Turn 3 - Empire
---------------


1. Movement

The helblaster moves to peek around the corner of the building and get back in the action. The Wizard makes a move for the Handgunners so he can get a look out sir. Finally the Halberdiers have rallied and C1 has fled off the board.

2. Magic

Regan casts Final Transmutation on my bunker and kills several but not any of my characters.

2. Shooting

A world of hurt lands on NG1 and the unit is wiped out to a man by the crossbows, Mortar and Helstorm. The two great cannons attempt to snipe out my orc shaman but I make my Look out sir rolls and come away alright.

3. Combat

Nil


Turn 3 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

The Trolls manage a multi-charge on his two Great Cannons, The bunker advances up behind them to maintain the leadership bubble. NG3 marches up to the building and NG2 diverts to deal with H1 or C2. Finally the Chariot charges the over eager Helblaster.

2. Magic

I have another dud of a Magic phase and manage to only get off Foot of Gork on H1 which scatters and ends up only killing 4 Halberdiers before Gork wanders off. This does mean though that H1 is down to 16 models.

3. Shooting

All of my Rock Lobbas and one Doom Diver attempt to assassinate the battle wizard but scatters and good ward saves mean that I only inflict one wound (He has one left at this stage). My last Doom Diver manages to kill another 2 Halberdiers.

4. Combat

The Chariot kills the Helblaster with ease thanks to impact hits and overruns into the engineer. The trolls also wipe out the two Cannons and overrun into the engineer.


Turn 4 - Empire
---------------


1. Movement

There is little movement again as the Halberdiers opt to stay outside of NG2's charge range and the Wizard joins the safety of the handgunners.

2. Magic

Regan again casts Final Transmutation at the bunker but I am able to dispel using my scroll.

3. Shooting

The Helstorm and the Mortar fire on NG3, taking them down to 20 models while the Handgunners kill the Mangler that's rampaging in their back line.

4. Combat

The Trolls hack down the Engineer and overrun into the Helstorm while the Chariot runs over the other Engineer but hardly overruns at all.

Turn 4 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

NG2 charges the Crossbowmen and makes it easily. My last chariot positions itself to charge the Halberdiers in the next turn as does my bunker. NG3 moves into the building.

2. Magic

I roll poorly again for Winds of Magic but manage to get off a curse of da bad moon which I send over the Handgunners and mortar, killing the mortar and killing 6 Handgunners. Unfortunately for me though they pass their break tests.

3. Shooting

All of my Warmachines who can, take aim at the Handgunners and the unit is destroyed leaving the Wizard stuck on his own. DD1 fires at the Halberdiers and kills 2.

4. Combat

The Trolls destroy the Helstorm and reform. At this point the club is about to close and my opponent concedes defeat and I am up by 1313 points. Had we continued playing I would have expected to destroy at least the Halberds and Crossbowmen. That being said he had two more turns of attempting to cast final transmutation on my bunker  while I had two turns of open season on his 1 wound remaining wizard so there were still points to be had from his point of view.

All in all I found this a difficult game due to the sheer firepower of his army and felt lucky to get the result I did. I think a better choice of lore from my opponent and a more castled deployment around the BSB could have seen me in a lot of trouble. It wasn't just his war-machines either that made his army so dangerous, the small detachments were perfectly sized to clear my chaff out and denied my the quick charges I wanted. Finally, I was dissapointed in the Wizarding Hat, I thought having more options would be cool but really I never even considered casting any of his spells and there were never enough dice to do it. I'm not sure I'll be using him again. Well I hope you enjoyed the battle report. I have 3 more to post up so watch this space!


Built with Battle Chronicler.
http://www.battlechronicler.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment