Thursday, 28 February 2013

Lizardmen vs. Ogres 2400 Points


Ogre Kingdoms vs. Lizardmen
===========================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: Manawatu Duellists
Date played: Thursday, 28 February 2013

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
General: John
  (S) Slaughtermaster [385 points]
      - Lvl 4, Armour of Steeled Silver, Lore of the Great Maw, Ironcurse Icon, Dispel Scroll, Dawnstone

  (B1) Bruiser [154 points]
      - BSB, Heavy Armour, Sword of Striking, Enchanted Shield, Ruby Ring,

  (I1) 9 Ironguts [437 points]
      - FCG, Standard of Discipline, Lookout Gnoblar

  (B2) 8 Bulls [291 points]
      - FCG, Lookout Gnoblar

  (B3) 8 Bulls [291 points]
      - FCG, Lookout Gnoblar

  (L) 4 Leadbelchers [182 points]
      - Bellower

  (M1) 3 Mournfang [250 points]
      - FCG, Banner of Eternal Flame, Heavy Armour, Ironfists

  (M2) 3 Mournfang [240 points]
      - FCG, Heavy Armour, Ironfists

  (I2) Ironblaster [170 points]


  Total: 2400 points
  ------------------

Lizardmen
---------
General: Jeff
  (S1) Slann [300 points]
      - General, BSB, Becalming Cogitation, Lore of Shadow,

  (S2) Slann [275 points]
      - Focused Rumination, Lore of Death

  (SV1) Scar Vet [166 points]
      - Amulet of Itzi, Cold One, Dragon Helm, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Venom of the Firefly Frog

  (SV2) Scar Vet [160 points]
      - Burning Blade of Chotec, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Light Armour, Potion of Strength, Cold One,

  (SP) Skink Priest [90 points]
      - Lvl 1, Dispel Scroll

  (S3) 16 Saurus [194 points]
      - Muso + Standard

  (SC1) 10 Skink Cohort [56 points]
      - Muso

  (SC2) 10 Skink Cohort [56 points]
      - Muso

  (SC3) 10 Skink Cohort [56 points]
      - Muso

  (SS1) 10 Skink Skirmishers [80 points]
      - Javelin and Shield

  (SS2) 10 Skink Skirmishers [80 points]
      - Javelin and Shield

  (SS3) 10 Skink Skirmishers [80 points]
      - Javelin and Shield

  (T1) 3 Terradons [90 points]

  (T2) 3 Terradons [90 points]

  (T3) 3 Terradons [90 points]

  (CS1) 9 Chameleon Skinks [108 points]

  (CS2) 9 Chameleon Skinks [108 points]

  (CS3) 6 Chameleon Skinks [72 points]

  (S4) 2 Salamanders [150 points]

  (S5) Salamander [75 points]


  Total: 2376 points
  ------------------

Deployment
----------


Deployment

John won the roll for table side and chose the Northern side, I was happy with this as it gave me a building to use in my deployment zone to ensure that getting into combat with my General (S1) would be virtually impossible. Deployment was as shown with my Terradons opting to Vanguard and my Camo Skinks using their scout ability. The critical mistake made here by John in my opinion was deploying the Leadbelchers on a flank and in such a manner that my camo skinks could scout on outside of LoS. The other flaw was not pushing B3 all the way up to the 12" line. The reason I think he kept his Mournfang unit with the flaming banner (M1) in the centre was because he knew that the on a flank they would get picked on by the flaming ward scar vets. By placing them in the middle the Scar Vets didn't have easy access to such a good match-up. We rolled to see who went first and I managed to win the roll.

Turn 1 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

I swept around John's right flank with the Camo Skinks and the Terradons, I'd identified the leadbelchers as his key weak spot and was intent on blow-piping them to death. All of my camo skinks moved outside of his charge arc so that the most he could do was reform and shoot. The rest of the army moved up cautiously while T2 managed to shoot over the Mournfang, drop rocks (which did nothing) and march block part of the Ogre Army.

2. Magic

I rolled poorly for winds of magic. My first cast was Doom and Darkness on the Leadbelchers, the spell went off with IF. My Slann rolled a 6, hitting only himself and saved the wound. My second spell cast was Miasma on M2 but this was easily dispelled by John. A mediocre phase but I got off what I needed.

3. Shooting

The Camo Skinks open up and wipe out the Leadbelchers to the ogre, causing a panic test on the Bulls next to them who break and flee off the board. I had fully expected to get the Leadbelchers one way or another but the Bulls were a major added bonus. T2 threw some Javelins at the Ironblaster and managed to take a wound off.

4. Combat

None

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

John attempts a charge with M2 and I flee with both the Terradons and the Salamanders as I do not want to risk a successful charge at this point of the game. The rest of his army pushes up, though M1 is cautious to stay out of charge range of the Scar-Vets. The Ironblaster moves onto the flank of T2 to grapeshot them.

2. Magic

John rolls a decent Magic phase but I Becalm his Slaughtermaster. He attempts both a ruby ring and bonecrusher on one of the Scar Vets but I prevent both using dispel dice and a scroll.

3. Shooting

John's only shooting is the Grapeshot at the terradons. However he rolls a misfire and the Ironblaster spins around in a random direction

4. Combat

None

Turn 2 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

My Skinks begin sweeping around John's crumbling flank, eager to knock out the ironblaster. The two Scar-vets march up to the Mournfang and sit in front in such a way that charging only one is impossible. SC3 has moved to redirect the Gutstar away from my General and towards my other Skirmishers which can shoot it to death. Everything else rallies and takes up position to flee next turn or stay out of charge ranges.

2. Magic

I cast Spirit Leech on the Ironblaster , which goes off but is scrolled by John. I then cast doom and Darkness on M1 and then try a pit of shades on the Gutstar but fail to cast by 1.

3. Shooting

A whole hell of a lot of shooting goes into the Ironblaster and I take it down to 1 wound.

4. Combat

None

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Ironguts charge the redirecting Skink Cohort. The Mournfang (M2) charges the Terradons, who flee, and fails it's charge, the Bulls then charge the Terradon forcing it to flee again.The Ironblaster turns around to face my Skink screen. Finally the M1 unit reforms and moves back to try and put some distance between themselves and the Scar vets and open up other charge opportunities.

2. Magic

I allow the bubble +1 T spell off and shut down the rest of John's magic phase. The reason for this is I figured that most of my wounds would be poison anyways.

3. Shooting

The Ironblaster takes a shot at my Death Slann, hits, and then fails to wound, in my defence I has a LoS and a 4++ so wasn't too worried.

4. Combat

The Ironguts wipe out the Skinks (though I did kill one) and over-run.

Turn 3 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

My Scar Vet fails his stupidity test and stumbles forward whilst the other rallies. I set up a lot of shooting into M2 with the hope of causing a panic test. My General moves into a gap in the charge arcs of M2 and B2 while my Salamanders position themselves to redirect the Mournfang. The restof the army continues swarming the Ironblaster and now begins to move towards the Ironguts.

2. Magic

I roll poorly and the only spell I manage is an IF Doom and Darkness on the Mournfang. I take a wound from the misfire chart.

3. Shooting.

The Camo Skinks drop the Ironblaster and cause a panic check on the Mournfang which they fail thanks to Doom and Darkness. They are now fleeing! I pour buckets of fire into the other Mournfang unit but only cause 2 wounds, meaning I'll have to count on the redirect.
Shooting at the Ironguts downs another Ogre and I attempt a salamander shot but roll well short and hit my own unit, which panics right into the path of the Ironguts.

4. Combat

None

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------


1. Movement

The Mournfang M1, fail to rally but flee a short distance. The Ironguts charge and catch SS2 while the Bulls make a very long charge into a Skink Cohort rather than trying to tangle with the Saurus. The other Mournfang charge the flank of the Salamanders.

2. Magic

John doesn't get any magic of consequence off this turn, but does dispel Doom and Darkness.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Bulls wipe out the Skinks and reform to charge the Saurus building. One Salamander survives the Mournfang but not even cold-blooded is enough to keep him in the fight. The Mournfang elect to overrun to the safety of being off the board.

Turn 4 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

The Saurus move out of the building to set up a charge on the rear of the Bulls, while my skirmishers move to block the Mournfang when they re-enter the table.The Terradons set up a double flee to protect my Slann from the Bulls. The rest of my units swarm around the Ironguts who are becoming depleted.

2. Magic

I throw it all at a Purple Sun through the Gutstar and get it off with John unable to stop it due to IF. It only goes 6" but that is enough to hit the whole gutstar. Some amazing rolling happens though and John only loses 3 Ironguts. I use the power dice I pick up and rumination to get off doom and darkness though. John passes his panic tests for the magic phase though. The Doom of Darkness is IF and I lose 3 magic levels, at this point that's ok.

3. Shooting.

A torrent of poisoned shots hit the Ironguts, killing another 2 which is now enough for a panic test. This time he fails and flees.

4. Combat

None

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

1. Movement

The Gutstar fails its rally test and flees off the board. The Bulls go for something desperate and force the two terradon units protecting the Slann to flee, while the Mournfang re-enter the board but can do very little due to the blocking Skinks.

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

None

Turn 5 - Lizardmen
------------------

1. Movement

The terradons rally and set up another flee screen for the Slann who turns around to face the Mournfang. The Skirmishers get out of the way. My Saurus and a Scar Vet are able to charge the rear of the Ogres while my other Scar Vet hurries over to add his weight to the combat should it go 2 turns. I do not move the rest of the army as it cannot at this point influence the battle. Of note is that my Skink Priest is 18" away from my General and if necessary I intend to smoke and Mirrors to get him away from the Mournfang.

2. Magic

I roll fairly well and know exactly what I'm going to cast. Pit of shades goes onto the Mournfang and with a bit of luck I wipe out the entire unit.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Scar Vet and Saurus win the combat by 5 causing a double 1 break test, which is failed, resulting in the Bulls being run down.


Final Thoughts

This was a brutal game where John never really recovered from his mistakes in deployment. Luck went both ways in the game with me failing some leadership tests I really shouldn't have and John not getting his re-rolls off.

I am happy with the list as it stands Skink skirmisher armies are brutally effective and the combination of Shadow and Death is brutal (though I have considered Light instead of Death). I also like that I can use the Skink Priest to find save havens for the Slann to bail to. I am also going to throw an Earthing Rod on the general for extra protection against miscasts. The Scar Vets proved their worth and together can deal with a huge range of threats.

The army is fun to use but I appreciate it' not fun to play against. I'll see how one tournament goes and then judge it up after that whether this is a road I really want to go down.

I hope you enjoyed and any thoughts/input is welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I personally don't find Skink herding to be that bad a game. Its bloody brain draining, but the key is not to run head long into the mass to get surrounded, and make good use of charge redirection to ensure that the Skinks can barely ever shoot at anything as they are rallying every movement phase.

    Unfortunately not many understand this, run headlong into the cloud, and get ripped apart piecemeal, at which point, yes its really not a fun game for them.

    As for your army, What do you do against heavy armour? Most dual Slaan lists run Metal for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed that the list can be effectively countered, but it relies on knowing what to do and maintaining a lot of patience as nothing happens which is I think where people tend to fall down. Most people have a tendency to favour action when sometimes it's best to take it slow.

    I have to either drop the armour using pit or purple sun, cause a casualty and have doom and darkness up, tarpit with scar vets or redirect. None of these are awesome answers in themselves and it's what I like least about the army. I've definitely looked at Metal but I suffer from an unfamiliarity with the lore but I suppose all the spells are useful for the most part. I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete