Monday, 4 March 2013

Field of Glory Napoleonics - 1812 Russians vs. 1792 Prussians

Last night I had the pleasure of playing a game of FoG(N) against Keith Marshall who was fortunately in town for business. I had previously played Keith at Battlecry where his French had done quite a number on me. As such when he e-mailed to let me know he was bringing his 1792 Prussians I was secretly pleased as I figured I could run circles around his unreformed infantry. His list was:

1792 Prussian Army

Competent Corps Commander

Competent Cavalry Division Commander
1 Small HC Superior Drilled Shock with Officer Attach.
1 Small HC Superior Drilled Shock
1 Small HC Average Drilled

Competent Mixed Division Commander
1 Small Light Infantry Average Veteran
1 Large Line Infantry Average Drilled with Arty Attach
1 Small Line Infantry Superior Veteran Guard
1 Small Line Infantry Average Veterean
1 Small LC Average Veteran

Competent Mixed Division Commander
1 Large Line Infantry Superior Drilled with Arty Attach
1 Large Line Infantry Average Drilled with Skirmisher
1 Small Line Infantry Average Drilled
1 Small LC Average Veteran
1 Small LC Poor Drilled

Well I had forgotten how much stuff a non-reformed army can put on the table. Up against this horde were my 1812 Russians.

1812 Russian Army

Competent Corps Commander

Competent Infantry Division Commander
1 Small Line Infantry Average Drilled
1 Small Line Infantry Average Drilled
1 Large Line Infantry Poor Drilled
1 Small Medium Artillery Average Veteran
1 Small LC Average Irregular

Competent Division Commander
1 Large Line Infantry Average Veteran
1 Large Line Infantry Average Veteran
1 Small Light Infantry Average Veteran
1 Small Heavy Artillery Average Veteran
1 Small LC Average Irregular

Competent Cavalry Division Commander
1 Small HC Average Drilled Shock
1 Small HC Average Drilled Shock
1 Small LC Average Irregular

Deployment:

We both had an initiative of two so the roll to attack or defend was a straight roll-off where I won but only by 2. As such I would be attacking, but without any additional support.

Keith's nefarious Prussians line up for battle.

Keith's right flank where his Heavy Cavalry has concentrated.

A picture of my deployment on my Right Flank. Note that the pond is not actually there. 


My Left Flank and Center has deployed to advance against Keith's Infantry on the hill.
Deployment sees Keith set up with his large Infantry units holding a hill in the middle of his deployment zone anchored against some steep hills on his right flank. His left flank is held down by his Guard, Light Infantry and an impressive amount of Cuirassiers. I respond by placing my Infantry in a line with my Artillery units in the centre and my own Cavalry mirroring his. In retrospect this was a mistake and I should have placed my Cavalry in the centre and allowed my Jaegers to hold down my flank.

Turn 1:

The Russians begin their advance on the Prussian positions.

On the Right Flank the Grenadiers advance and the Jaegers take up positions in the woods.

Prussian Light Cavalry move out to begin harassing the Russian Advance

The Prussian Cuirassiers ride out to meet their counterparts on the flank.

A Cavalry melee is all but inevitable now.

The first turn sees a general advance by the Russians towards the Prussian lines. The Grenadiers and Jaegers move forward with the Jaegers taking up a strong skirmishing position in the woods. On my extreme right flank my Cuirassiers move recklessly towards the Prussians. In Keith's turn we see a small advance to take up better positions on the hill and some Light Cavalry move out to begin harassing my advance.

Turn 2:

Russian Cossacks attempt to move around the Prussian flank.

Marching to the sound of the guns in the centre as battle is joined.

The Cuirassiers ready themselves for the charge. In the foreground you can see the Light Infantry engaging.

Huzzah! The Prussian and Russian Cavalry meet on the flank but to what end?

Turn 2 was an action packed affair with a vicious firefight occurring between my Jaeger's and Keith's Light Infantry, resulting in the Prussians Wavering. In the Centre my Artillery unlimbered and prepared to blast the Prussians off the hill. The main event though was the Heavy Cavalry Melee on my right flank. While I had thought we were essentially equally matched I had forgotten that his Cuirassiers were Superior and Keith had cleverly manouevered a unit to support the combat, putting me at a disadvantage. The dice were rolled and hideous damage was done to both sides, but when the dust cleared the Russians had been utterly defeated and fled off the board, leaving two exhausted Prussian units behind them. Disaster had struck and it was only a matter of time until my flanks would be under attack from his Horse!.

Turn 3:

The Cossacks face the might of the Prussian Cuirassiers and flee like cowards.

Note the use of coins to mark disruptions. This is because Keith and I are high-rollers. Though I suspect he may have pocketed 10 cents.

Keith's Infantry holding the hill begin to suffer at the hands of the Russian Artillery.

The Russian Grenadiers advance on the Prussians intent on seeing them off through weight of musketry.

The Cossacks are nowhere to be seen.

Turn 3 saw myself get a few wins in. My Grenadiers unleashed such vicious fire on a Large Prussian unit that it broke and ran, causing disruption to the enemy lines, while the Jaegers rallied off their previous disruption. Keith's Cuirassiers charged the Grenadiers who held their nerve and shot the blighters off. On my left flank a Russian Musketeer unit was charged by Light Cavalry and failed to form square effectively. The Enemy rose rode through to threaten my line of communication and left the infantry wavering. My Artillery fire was proving effective but so was Keith's ability to recover losses.

Turn 4:

Prussian Cavalry running amok in my rear.

The Russian Artillery have already seen off a Prussian charge and are exacting a heavy toll on the Germans.

Cossacks race back to intercept the Prussian Horse.

The Pavlov Grenadiers press their advantage against the Prussian Guard.

The now unchecked Prussian cavalry force the Jaegers into square, time is running out for me to break through his center.
Russian Infantry advance to make an assault on the Hill as Cossacks threaten the flanks.

Turn four went well for my but there was a sense of running out of time. I shot all but one infantry unit off of the hill and left just one on it that was Wavering. Keith now had something like four large units Wavering but I just couldn't close quickly enough to deal the killing blow. My Cossacks raced back to make a desperate attempt to intercept his Cavalry. Keith rallied a few disruptions off and moved backwards to keep me out of arms reach, while moving his Cavalry into position to roll up my right flank.

Turn 5:

The Prussian Hussars turn to face the Cossacks and threaten the Russian Musketeers.

The Melee is joined, but the results are indecisive.

The Jaegers have formed square while the Grenadiers make a desperate push forward.

The Grenadiers are hit from two sides by the Prussians but manage to form square and remain alive but close to breaking.

The Prussian Cuirassiers pass through and are now loose behind my lines!


Turn 5 saw the Prussian center nearly break, with the outcome of the game largely depending on a single recovery roll which Keith promptly made. This was an example of how tight this game was until the very end. The Russians moved to make a charge on the Prussians tenuously holding the hill in the next turn. The Jaegers came under fire while in square but managed to hold on. The Cossacks and Hussars fought inconclusively while the main event saw a massive Cavalry charge on the Russian Grenadiers. The Grenadiers formed square but a flurry of great rolling saw them wavering at the end and Prussian Cavalry passing through to get behind me! Times were desperate now...

Turn 6:

Fleeing before the Prussian Guard

Both of my Grenadier units break, and my army begins a general retreat.

Turn 6:

At this stage my Wavering Grenadier unit was about to be blasted to oblvion by the Prussian Guard so I charged the Guard with my other unit of Grenadiers, hoping my extra size would get me through. I also charged the last Prussian unit holding the hill. When the smoke cleared my Grenadiers had found their way into combat while my Musketeers recoiled and broke. The ensuing combat between the elite of our armies saw my Grenadiers roughly handled and broken, causing the other Grenadier unit to break as well and a general retreat to begin.

Final Thoughts:

This was a great game and I really enjoyed it. As per usual I threw away my Cavalry too early and should have deployed them in the Center so I could have broken the Prussian Infantry which is their real weakness. The game swung to and fro and a failed or successful cohesion test here or there would have greatly changed the game. Thanks again to Keith for making the time to play and I look forward to another game next time he's in town. I hope you enjoyed this battle report (my first pictorial one) and I intend to make more using a better camera.

Cheers. Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Nice write up mate - I miss playing FOG, I had a Hundred Years War English army which I sold as there wasnt anyone at the club to play against anymore.

    Fascinating rule set.. and Naploenics is something I am going to have to get into at some stage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good man! Nice to see other systems now and again. If I could just stop playing WHFB long enough to try some other man-doll drugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, Napoleonics is a great period and a good break from constant WHFB.

    John - I've got two armies so let me know if you're keen to have a game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice AAR, great pictures with very nice looking figures!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete