Friday, 1 March 2013

Sixty Skinks in Six Days

As part of putting together my new Lizardmen army I decided that I needed more Skinks with javelins and shields. This meant I could form Skrox units as well as meant that I could design my army around comp 90-shot maximum restrictions easier. As such I've spent the last six days painting up sixty skinks using a red/bone colour scheme that I think produces an effective look that you can be proud to put on the table but with minimal time or skill.

The real reason though I've put up this tutorial is I couldn't easily find where to do this particular scheme despite it being a very useful one that can work on Lizards, Tyranids or Imperial Guard. So without further adieu:

Paints you'll need:

Black Spray Paint
Khemri Brown
Kommando Khaki
Bleached Bone
Bubonic Brown
Chaos Black
Badab Black
Gryphonne Sepia
Mechrite Red
Dwarf Bronze
Chainmail
Blood Red
Scorpion Green

These are a mix of different generations of Citadel Paints and you might have to use different ones. You can find a conversion chart at:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320032a_Citadel_Conversion_Chart

Step 1:



After spraying the model black, apply a basecoat of Khemri Brown across the entire model except the javelin (although it doesn't matter if you do). If you skip the scales or the shield you'll cause your Mechrite Red layer to be very dark and difficult to apply.

Step 2:



The second step is to thickly drybrush the model Kommando Khaki followed by a light drybrush of Bleached Bone (depending on how light you want the skin to be.) I don't bother doing the scales or shield at this point.

Step 3:

I then wash the skin with Gryphonne Sepia, ensuring I use enough to get good coverage of the model and bring out the definition of the skin. Areas to focus on are the crests and the folds in their torso by where their ribs are (I assume skinks have ribs). Be careful to only lightly wash near the scales as since we're speed painting we don't want wet ink there for the next step.

Step 4:


It's coming together now and we paint the Mechrite Red on first the shield (to give any sepia ink time to dry) and then on the scales. There's no requirement to be exact with the scales and I just slap the paint on.

Step 5:







While the Mechrite Red is drying we will pick out the details. Paint the shaft of the javelin Chaos Black, the tip Chainmail and the mount for it Dwarven Bronze. I also paint any jewellery Dwarven Bronze at this stage. To paint the eyes I paint the eyeball bubonic brown and then paint a thin line in the centre which gives the impression of a reptilian eye. The tongue gets painted Blood Red and any feathers are painted Scorpion Green.

Step 6:



The final step is a quick wash of Badab Black on the shield and scales. Really you can use any wash you want but I like the dark contrast Badab Black provides. Voila! your model is done. I hope this quick tutorial has been of some value and I think the colour scheme is a universally effective one that can be used for many armies and as such a good one to have in the toolbox. Cheers and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment