Sunday, 14 April 2013

Lizardmen Vs. Warriors of Chaos 2400 Points



Hello Everybody, Another battle report here from a tournament warm-up game I played yesterday against Warriors of Chaos. I asked Caleb to take a hard list and he did his best considering his collection. The heroes proved incredibly hard to put down but the Chaos Knights proved to be a poor choice in this match-up. Read on for more details!

Warriors of Chaos vs. Lizardmen
===============================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: The Man Cave
Date played: Sunday, 14 April 2013

Warriors of Chaos
-----------------
General: Caleb
  (SL) Sorcerer Lord
      - Focus Familiar, Barded Steed, Ogre Blade, Poisonous Slime,Obsidian Lodestone, Lore of Death

  (S) Sorcerer
      - Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal

  (EH1) Exalted Hero
       - Daemonic Mount, Talisman of Preservation, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon,BSB, Shield, Chaos Armour

  (EH2) Exalted Hero [1 point]
       - Daemonic Mount, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Chaos Armour

  (C1) Chariot
      - MoS

  (C2) Chariot
      - MoS

  (C3) Chariot
      - MoS

  (CW) 13 Chaos Warriors

  (CH1) 5 Chaos Hounds

  (CH2) 5 Chaos Hounds

  (MH1) 5 Marauder Horsemen

  (MH2) 5 Marauder Horsemen

  (CK1) 6 Chaos Knights

  (CK2) 6 Chaos Knights


  Total: 14 points
  ----------------

Lizardmen
---------
General: Jeff
  (S1) Slann
      - General, BSB, Lore of Metal, Focused Rumination, Earthing Rod

  (S2) Slann
      - Becalming Cogitation, Lore of Death

  (SP) Skink Priest
      - Dispel Scroll, Curse Charm of Tepok

  (SV) Scar Vet
      - Cold One, Great Weapon, Dawnstone, Light Armour, Dragonhelm, Venom of the Firefly Frog

  (Sv) Scar vet
      - Cold One, Burning Blade of Chotec, Dragonbane Gem, Charmed Shield, Light Armour

  (SS1) 10 Skink Skirmishers

  (SS2) 10 Skink Skirmishers

  (SS3) 10 Skink Skirmishers

  (SC1) 20 Skink Cohort

  (SC2) 22 Skink Cohort

  (SC3) 22 Skink Cohort

  (CS1) 9 Chameleon Skinks

  (CS2) 9 Chameleon Skinks

  (CS3) 6 Chameleon Skinks

  (T1) 3 Terradons

  (T2) 3 Terradons

  (T3) 3 Terradons

  (S3) 2 Salamanders

  (S4) Salamander


  Total: 19 points
  ----------------

Deployment
----------


1. Deployment

We rolled up a Battleline scenario and I won the roll to pick the table sides. This was a no-brainer as I knew that ifI could get in the building there was virtually no way that Caleb would be able to push me out of it and my Slann would be able to cast at will.

2. Magic Spells

I rolled for my Metal Slann: Searing Doom, Enchanted Blades, Gehenna's Golden Hounds, Final Transmuation. For my Death Slann: Spirit Leech, Soulblight, Doom and Darkness, Purple Sun. For my Skink: Harmonic Convergence. Caleb's Death L4 rolled up: Spirit Leech, Cure of Laniph, Soulblight, Doom and Darkness and Fate of Bjuna. His Metal Sorcerer took Searing Doom.

3. Vanguard/Scouts

I Scouted and Vanguarded aggressively, hoping to either get first turn, or start getting him failing charges quickly to slow down his movement. In the end I won first turn.

Turn 1 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

No charges were declared and my Terradons sallied forward to make themselves annoying. They ended up killing 4 Chaos Hounds, and 7 marauders, a great hall. My Skinks and Slann moved into the building which was to become my Alamo while the rest of my army began preparing to defend said Alamo. I figured that if I could hold this building (not too hard due to his small units) that I could metal his army to death eventually. The two Scar Vets advance up cautiously in order to later select a target to kill/tarpit.

2. Magic

I rolled only a 4 for Winds of Magic but still managed to get a Final Transmutation off on the Chaos Warriors which Caleb dispelled and a Searing Doom which killed 2 knights from CK2. This was a dissapointing phase but at least the scroll was out of the way now.

3. Shooting

My shooting is relatively inneffective this turn with only my Terradons in range.

4. Combat None

Turn 1 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

Caleb declared a range of charges which I fled from this turn. In addition CK2 charged the building. I stood and shoot but did no wounds.The rest of his army moved to start enveloping me from my right flank.

2. Magic

I becalmed his Level 4 but he rolled a massive 11 PD and threw it at a Spirit Leech against one of the Scar vets, getting it off with a large roll. Now this was a tricky phase for me as I couldn't afford to let a Doom and Darkness through but also had no desire to lose a SV early. As such I used my scroll early and planned that lower PD rolls, my intent to assassinate the Sorc Lord, and Becalming would mean magic wouldn't be a problem by turn 3.  This worked out well as becalming then caused him to fail his next cast and effectively end the magic phase.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The 4 Chaos Knights fluff their attacks and kill 2 Skinks. In return I kill a Chaos Knight and easily pass my break test to stay in the building.

Turn 2 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

Again there are no charges, but my Scar Vets advance straight up to block his two Exalted Heroes which are shaping up to be the largest threats.

2. Magic

Again I roll double 2's for Winds of Magic but then channel 3 more dice to make it 7-2, setting up a brutal magic phase. I cast a large Searing Doom at CK1 and kill 5 of the Knights, leaving just one alive. I then push a Final Transmutation through with IF and kill 6 Chaos Warriors and the Level 1 Sorcerer. The miscast is a dimensional cascade but I re-roll with my Earthing Rod and a calamitous detonation occurs, killing a whole 1 skink.

3. Shooting

The Skinks in the Alamo shoot at the remaining Chaos Knights and with a flurry of 6's (and then some 1's) destroy the unit. The Salamanders unleash on the Chaos Warriors killing another 3. T3 finishes the Chaos Hounds while SS3 and T2 kill MH2.

4. Combat

None

Turn 2 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

This turn saw far too much of my army forced to flee and myself fail  a lot of panic tests which caused SC3 to leave the board . I still managed to avoid all of the charges except the ones I wanted to take and was confident I'd rally with enough to come back and dominate the game.

2. Magic

Caleb was unable to get anything through the Slann's magic defence.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Chariot smashed into the Scar Vet doing 7 impact hits, but thanks to his toughness and dawnstone re-rolls the Saurus hero shrugged the hits off and then put a wound on the Exalted Hero, drawing the combat and now safely locked in a challenge. The other Scar Vet put a wound on the Exalted Hero but was then cut down.

Turn 3 - Lizardmen
------------------

1. Movement

SS3 flees off the table while the rest of my army rallies and moves to swarm isolated targets.

2. Magic

I roll well again for Magic and Gehenna's Golden hounds off the Sorcerer Lord, and put a Searing Doom on the now loose Exalted Hero, taking a second wound. That man is hard as nails, but at least I now have total control of the magic phase.

3. Shooting

On the Right flank we re-enact Zulu Dawn and C3 is destroyed, Ihave less luck against C1 which only takes one wound and is now becoming a real problem.

4. Combat

The Scar Vet and Exalted Hero fail to hurt eachother thanks to me fluffing my attacks while making good armour saves thanks to the dawnstone.

Turn 3 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

C1 charges sending SS1 and T1 fleeing, the last Chaos Knight charges SC1 but is cut down by a hail of poison darts. The lone maruader and Exalted Hero charge into T3 who holds to buy some time.

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

I kill the maurader before he can strike and then take 3 wounds from the Exalted Hero. I make my re-roll ld. 5 test and hold, giving me time to get out of the way.

Turn 4 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

My R flank begins to move across to gather up the firepower it's going to take to put down EH1, while I Zulu Dawn C1 who absolutely needs to go down this turn before he charges units off the board.

2. Magic

I roll a 9 for winds of magic so will have it all my way. I Gehenna's Golden Hounds off C1 and then cast a large Searing Doom to kill the rest of the Chaos Warriors.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Exalted Hero does another 2 wounds but my last Terradon holds on for one more round. This was beneficial for myself but ultimately even if I had died or ran this turn I would've still been able to keep the Hero out of combat.

Turn 4 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

None

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

EH1 finishes the Terradons and reforms to help out EH2. Fortunately the Scar Vet finally tears the Chaos Champion apart, the Chariot makes the leadership test and they remain locked in combat.

Turn 5 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

Everything that can encircles the Exalted Hero

2. Magic

I cast a boosted Searing Doom, Gehenna's Hounds and a Spirit Leech at the Exalted Hero, all of which go off but fail to do a single wound.

3. Shooting

I pour 90+ shots into the Exalted Hero and only manage to pull him down with my last unit's shooting.

4. Combat

The Scar Vet puts two wounds onto the Chariot, who is unable to hurt the Saurus but passes his leadership test.

Turn 5 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

None

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Scar Vet puts another wound on but the Chariot still holds.

Turn 6 - Lizardmen
------------------


1. Movement

None

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Scar Vet destroys the Chariot, ending the game!

Result: It clearly was a large win to myself with me achieving about a 2000 point margin. I was relatively happy with how the game went but have to acknowledge some good luck on my part in the magic phase, while Caleb's lack of some miniatures (Chimeras etc.) let me off the hook. Furthermore being able to get into the building was huge for me and without that the game could have gone very differently as the speed of his army would have made it fairly easy to herd me off the board. I think if were playing Battle for the Pass I would be in real trouble against this army. That being said this particular WoC army is very poor at assaulting buildings so that may be a balance issue Caleb has to address.  I was also astounded by how hard the 1+/3++ Hero was to put down and I can see many armies having massive issues here. If he had been on a disk along with a flying DP I could have been in a world of pain.

As for what this means for upcoming tournaments, I've now achieved good wins against 3 WoC armies, but to be honest these armies all looked very much like 7th ed WoC armies. I'm pretty happy with this match-up but still believe I'll have a lot of trouble with flying circus lists should I see them. That said I don't expect to see these too much in my relatively small meta.

Thanks again for reading. As always I'm keen to hear your thoughts and input.


Built with Battle Chronicler.
http://www.battlechronicler.com/


1 comment: