Sunday, 28 April 2013

Runefang VI Tournament Report (Day 1)

Over the last weekend I attended Runefang VI, a 28 person/5 round Warhammer Fantasy Battles tournament in Wellington New Zealand. This was my fourth fantasy tournament this year/ever and I was going into it off of a good result with my Lizards at Natcon but with very little practice due to university and work commitments. The list I took was:

Slann - BSB, Lore of Metal, Focussed Rumination
Slann - Lore of Death, Becalming Cogitation

Scar Vet - Burning Blade of Chotec, Charmed Shield, Cold One, Light Armour, Cold One, Dragonbane Gem
Scar Vet - Great Weapon, Cold One, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Venom of the Firefly Frog, Light Armour
Skink Priest - Dispel Scroll, Curse Charm of Tepok

10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelin + Shields
10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelin + Shields
10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelin + Shields
22 Skink Cohort - Muso+Standard
22 Skink Cohort - Muso+Standard
20 Skink Cohort - Muso+Standard

9 Camo Skinks
9 Camo Skinks
6 Camo SKinks
3 Terradons
3 Terradons
3 Terradons

2 Salamanders
1 Salamander

All in all a very similar list to the one I took to NATCON but with some small changes to bring it to 2400 points and to fit the comp system. It is also a very hard list (though not in my opinion the hardest list at the tournament.) That said I had the tools to do well.

Game 1 vs Tane Woodley (Dwarves/Eventual Placing 4th=) Dawn Attack

Tane was using a very shooty Dwarf army with:

Runelord - MROC, Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of Spelleater

Thane - BSB
Engineer
Dragonslayer

35 Dwarf Warriors - GW, FC
22 Quarreler Rangers - GW, FC

30 Hammerers
Grudge Thrower
Grudge Thrower
Cannon

Organ Gun
Organ Gun

Dawn Attack was fairly kind for my army (though it takes a lot to mess up my army in this scenario). Tane had his army castled in his left hand corner by using his scouting Quarrelers to close the door, while he couldn't avoid having an organ gun, grudge thrower and his BSB stuck on the other edge of the board.

The game went pretty well as I quickly moved to pick up points for his isolated units and chipping away at his castle. I put the two Scar Vets into the Quarrelers who proceeded to destroy the unit over the course of several turns and managed to isolate and destroy the Warrior Block. The last turn saw me have the chance to take out his remaining two warmachines but I fluffed my rolls with Scar Vets and Terradons. I also had a huge chance for a 20-0 when my salamanders forced his Hammerer Block and General to flee  but they only did so 3". Any other result would have seen them off the board.

Result:15- 5 Win

Thoughts: I was reasonably happy with this result against a well played shooty Dwarf Army. Tane made no mistakes during the game for me to take advantage of. With two organ guns and a cannon there was virtually no way to prevent him picking up points though in the end I was unlucky not to pick up a few more either from the warmachines or a longer flee on his warriors.

Game 2 vs. Badass Librarian aka Bo Paterson (Lizards/Eventual Placing:17th) Blood and Glory

Bo was using a very balanced Party Light Slann/Saurus/EOTG list

Slann - BSB, Standard of Disc, Rumination, Loremaster, Ethereal, Becalming, Dragonbane Gem, Lore of Light

Skink Priest - Engine of the Gods, Other Trickster's Shard, Level 2, Glyph Necklace
Scar Veteran - Light Armour, Cold One, Burning Blade of Chotec, Dawnstone, Charmed Shield

10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Cohort
10 Skink Cohort
28 Saurus- FCG
30 Saurus -FCG

5 Camo Skinks
5 Camo Skinks

2 Salamanders
1 Salamander

I failed completely in this match-up to properly assess how to win. After failing to play to the mission costing me a podium at NATCON I was totally focussed on breaking the enemy army which could only really be achieved by killing the Slann as far as I could see since I didn't see myself as able to kill both units of Saurus when protected by Pha's protection and with his skirmishers shielding them. As such I saw a Final Transmutation on the Slann as my only real means of Breaking the enemy.

The game was lost largely due to my massive underestimation of the Engine of the Gods which he just pushed forward into my army. With pretty good rolls (11" and 8") he managed to kill dozens of skinks, both units of salamanders, two units of Terradons, both of my Scar Vets in one go (rolled 6 hits on each and did 3 wounds on each). From this point on I could do little but throw units in the way to try and keep my Slann alive while hoping for the Final Trans to work on his Slann. In the end a 16" charge from the EOTG caught my Slann and his skinks on the back-line and pinned him down to kill him with a flank charge from the Saurus. One more turn of manuever and I may have been able to avoid breaking but oh well. I had 4 chances to win when I successfully cast Final Transmutation on the enemy Slann but the roll of 6 never came up:

Result: 0-20 Loss

Thoughts: I was gutted at this loss and my inability once again to get Blood and Glory right. In hindsight if I had thrown all my magic into Searing Doom's I would have downed the EOTG by Turn 2 and had significantly more space/time to work with in attempting to get either his blocks or his Slann. I realised in Turn 2 that my tactic of sniping the Slann was putting me in huge danger and positioned the Scar Vets to pull the EOTG down, but Bo's subsequent Burning Alignment rolls killed so much that I had no way back into the game. At the end of the day the 1000 points given for breaking the enemy meant that the 2-3 points I would have got turned into zero. I need to take more time before the game to really appreciate the match-ups and understand what I have to do to get the win in this scenario since every tournament I've been to uses different bonuses/penalties for breaking. Overall I was very dissappointed with myself though I had a better than average chance of killing his Slann and doing the same to him.

Game 3 vs Ryan Lister (Vampires/Eventual Placing:20th=) The Watchtower

Ryan was using:

Vampire Lord - Level 4, Quickblood, Red Fury, Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armour, Shield, Trickster's Shard, Talisman of Preservation

Vampire- L2 Death, Barded Nightmare, Quickblood, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes,
Necromancer - L1 (Vamp), Dispel Scroll
3 Wraiths

20 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies
30 Skeletons
5 Wolves
5 Wolves
5 Wolves

10 Black Knights
3 Vargheists
3 Vargheists
3 Vargheists
2 Fell Bats

I started out with 20 Skinks in the watchtower and planned to rotate units through to keep the thing by choking up the area around the watchtower. I immediately started attempting to clear out the Vargheists and killed all but one unit by Turn 3 using Scar Vets and dropping rocks with Terradons. I had another big win in Turn 2 when I wiped out the Black Knight bus using Searing Doom, even forcing 2 ward saves on the Lord which were both passed. He was using his units of Skeletons to assault the building (with the 3 Wraiths) and killing Skinks at a terrifying rate. Turn 3 saw me put 60+ poison shots into a unit of 3 Vargheists but leave one alive on 2 wounds. I also hit the now alone Vamp Lord with Searing Doom where I did 6 hits but he made 4 Wards to stay alive as well as a few wards against massed poison. The next turns saw his Vargehist make a 20" charge into my General, my other Slann fluff a flee roll and get caught by Fell Bats, the Vampire Lord make every ward save against another round of Searing Doom and Gehenna's Golden Hounds and my Scar Veteran get killed by 2 Wraiths rolling double 6's with chilled touch in a single round. I made the leadership tests I needed to to stay in the building before my Slann General died (4 wounds, 4 failed Wards). On the last turn of the game I walked into the empty building (the Vamp lord killed everyone inside) and won the game.

Result: 13-7 Win

Thoughts: I was happy with my play, but not the result, with the exception of knocking out the Knight Bus, I completely failed to get anything done with my army, fluffing magic rolls, flee rolls etc. If either his lone vargheist (had died as it statistically should have), failed it's 20" charge or the Vampire Lord had failed the right number of ward saves it would have been a much bigger win to me. I felt that we both played relatively well and Ryan made no real mistakes resulting in a close game but I still can't help feeling like I should have done better here.

Well the first day had wrapped up and I'd had 3 enjoyable games. I was philosophical about my day, I felt that my win against the Dwarves had been solid and that I'd done everything I could to win the Watchtower. However I was upset that I'd screwed up yet another Blood and Glory and knew that with the tournament only having 5 rounds there would be no opportunity to recover given I'd only managed 13 points in the third round. After all was wrapped up a bunch of us headed to the local pub, a nice place but it was missing something:

The other side had contact details for a Mr. V Carstein


3 comments:

  1. Ahem, I was 4th equal thank you. It's not often I rise to the dizzying heights of the top 10, so I'd like to bask for a little while before reality crashes in again.....

    Having said that, I don't think I played without mistakes. Forgetting the 2+ Flaming Ward on my BSB was fairly critical..... But you did play a very tight, controlled game, and exploited your advantages to the hilt. So well done, I thought you did a good job. It was also a fun game, which is always more difficult to say when you're copping a hiding. I look forward to our next match.

    I think I need more guns and stronger anti-magic though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies Tane, I've edited so it's correct. As for mistakes, I did think of another you made and I think that was your choice of board edge (I think you chose the side you were standing on?) The building in the centre there provided good cover for my Slann from the Cannon and also serves as a way I can safely bounce/flee away from charges and skirmish around it. I think you would've been better served on my side of the table, though that side had it's own difficulties. Buildings are always brutally important when playing against skink clouds as I love impassable terrain and I can turn them into impenetrable Alamos pretty easily for the Slann to lead/cast from.

      As for the BSB, that was both of our mistakes as I should have recalled as well, though he did cop 10 Searing Doom hits so I think he would've still been lucky to make it to the safety of the Warriors.

      I think the only change I would make to the list would be to swap a grudge thrower for a cannon, but that said I think you had the best list there, particularly the scouting Quarrellers which allow you to build the castle in nearly any situation.

      Will have to play again next time you're in Linton and I haven't got a formal dinner.

      Delete